As of November 11th, HGM Consulting, LLC, has acquired Santa Rita Golf Club. HGM Consulting is a company that produces custom blend fertilizer and soil conditioners, along with liquid fertilizers. In addition,HGM Consulting also provides contract golf course maintenance and management, operational consulting and oversight and project management for restoration and construction of golf courses. Harold Vaubel, agronomist, is the owner and principal of HGM Consulting, and is a graduate of the University of Arizona. He has 30+ years of experience in the golf industry, working with both private and public courses, exceptional resorts, a Top 100 facility and for the PGA Tour.
His resume includes courses like Tucson National, Albuquerque Country Club, TPC at StarrPass, Desert Forest Golf Club and La Costa Resort & Spa, to name a few. He has had the opportunity to be the Superintendent in charge of construction at 6 golf courses, and his courses have hosted 17 PGA Tour events. Harold has been very active with the Golf Course Superintendents Association, serving on boards in Arizona, New Mexico and California.
HGM Consulting has also included a number of specialists and experts to assist with the renovation/revitalization of the Club.
• Melissa Scarborough, Manager and Oscar Casillas, Golf Course Superintendent bring over 40 years of experience specific to Santa Rita Golf Club.
• Tom Schroeder, principal in Tom Schroeder Design, is a well known golf course architect based out of Scottsdale, Arizona, and will help piece together the master plan for the course and facility.
• Bob Bryant is based out of Newport Beach, California, and is lending his hand as an irrigation design consultant.
• Steve Robison will serve as our general contractor on major renovation projects. He owns Desert Reflections Golf Course Construction and, based out of Scottsdale, has completed work on over 20 courses over the last 10 years, including Whisper Rock, Anthem , Arizona Country Club and Paradise Valley Country Club.
• Also part of the project team is Wade Dunagan and HD Golf. Wade has more than 27 years in the golf business, and has worked with the Gallery, Tucson Country Club, Tucson National, TPC Sawgrass, Cougar Canyon and the PGA Tour. Based locally in Tucson, HD Golf will provide project priorities and coordination, strategic planning and operational oversight.
Together, this team has a great deal of experience and knowledge, and will ensure that efforts at Santa Rita Golf Club are both well thought out and correct for the long term health of the facility.
We have a great number of golf course issues to address prior to reopening.
• We are addressing all water supply and irrigation system needs from a design standpoint, and through different phases of priority and work, anticipate a complete renovation of the entire irrigation system. Our goal is to create a more efficient system with better uniform distribution and control, and the result will be much improved playing conditions for our guests.
• The deep freeze from 2010 had left many of our 80 foot tall beautiful eucalyptus trees in need of work, and we have had many of them trimmed or removed. This will be an on-going process, but we are pleased to see the work being completed.
• We have stripped the sod from the greens surfaces, and enlarged them back to their original size and design. We will renovate and amend the soil and then sod them with Bentgrass.
• Fairways will also be renovated over the next few months. We will be using soil conditioners provided by HGM Consulting for rapid recovery of the turfgrass, and we expect dramatic improvement over time.
• Bunkers will also be addressed. We will establish and define bunker edges, cultivate the bunkers and redistribute sand throughout, adding new sand where needed.
• The clubhouse is also being renovated and updated to create the inviting and comfortable atmosphere that many of you have enjoyed over the years.
In short, you will see almost every facet of Santa Rita Golf Club addressed and improved over the next few months and beyond.
A re-opening date has not yet been determined. Much of what is being done will be dependent upon weather and timing, and we are hopeful to open fully by February 1st, 2012, but that may vary by as many as 30 to 45 days. Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org@srgc.tuccoxmail.com, and we will make sure to send you the latest in news and opening date information. We can assure you that dramatic improvements are in store, but that some will take more time than others.
This is a very exciting time for all of us. Please join us in welcoming Santa Rita Golf Club back as an old friend with a new attitude.